Dry skin not only looks ugly, but also very annoying. The skin becomes tired, itching or scratching, and in extreme cases coughing or causing drying eczema may occur. It is therefore important to understand the cause of dry skin. Depending on the degree of dryness and body parts, different treatments and home remedies can provide relief. The face, arms, feet, calves or forearms are especially often affected by dry skin.
Causes of dry skin
Skin makes a barrier to external environmental influences, such as UV radiation, germs or temperature changes. In dry skin this skin barrier is disordered, it is like parchment and skinny. Cupped skin makes it easier for bacteria to enter the body and trigger inflammation. Dry skin can be both environmental factors as well as diseases such as diabetes mellitus.
Dry skin causes at first glance:
- Coldness, heat, sunlight, water (for example frequent pool visits)
- Cleansing and irritating agents
- One-way diet / malnutrition
- Diseases such as eczema, diabetes, contact eczema, psoriasis or hormone fluctuations
- Side effects of some medicines such as cortisone skin creams
- Stress and mental discomfort
- As you age, the skin's moisture decreases and is faster to dry
Dry skin: when to go to a doctor?
when the skin suddenly becomes extremely dry, If many scaly or inflammatory conditions develop, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist. If dry skin is accompanied by the following symptoms, medical consultation is urgently required:
- hair loss
- large fluctuations in weight
- large thirst or frequent urination
- inner discomfort
What helps against dry skin?
Those who suffer from dry skin can calm the irritated skin with a few tips and home remedies and prevent increased dryness.
The following measures alleviate the complaints:
- To protect it from cold or heat, the skin should be covered sufficiently. Gloves and caps protect the skin from harsh winter, sunscreen and hat to protect the skin in the dry summer.
- Drink at least 1.5 liters of liquid per day. In addition, fruit and vegetables with high water content help balance the balance of water.
- Gentle body care. Do not wash the dry skin too often or hot, as it stimulates the drying of the pores. Also not recommended for frequent full baths. Instead, the skin helps to use a mild and ph-neutral lotion for skin washing. After showering, moisturizing creams return to natural balance.
Tips on dry skin
Especially on the face, dry skin is a major irritant to many people. The skin looks tired, pale and quicker. Proper skin care and cosmetics are essential for dry skin, Additives should be avoided with additives such as alcohol, because alcohol removes moisture from the skin. Better it means Urea, jojoba oil or aloe vera They gently calm the skin and bond moisture.
It is important to have enough fluid, even with makeup: First of all, use a liquid make-up or foam. Mat makeup and dense powder layers hardly breathe the skin and clog the pores.
Home remedies also help to restore dry skin. Olive oil mask makes skin peppered. Cleansing unroasted oatmeal and honey gently cleanses the skin. Honey also contains antibacterial ingredients.