Autumn is coming and so is the time for the cold. Infection cannot always be avoided there – more importantly, knowing how symptoms can be effectively managed. Side effects and tolerability are particularly important in children, especially important aspects. Enough reasons to know the latest cold test results.
The most common signs of the flu are high fever and chills. Dry, irritable cough often occurs in patients.
Flu symptoms can be:
dry, irritating cough
a rare cough with a hard, partly bloody discharge
Limb and muscle pain
Nausea / vomiting
Sensitive to bright light
Zinc – effective or not?
Zinc intake is often recommended to alleviate cold symptoms. In fact, zinc is crucial for various bodily functions. In higher concentrations it occurs in many animal foods, in lower and in some plant foods. There is no need to fear the lack of healthy, diverse food. However, vegans and – with a one sided diet – occasionally vegetarians run the risk of deficiency. But what does the impact of the cold look like? Unfortunately, the study situation here is very diverse. While a review study finds a reduction in colds while taking zinc, new studies do not reach this conclusion. Due to the risk of overdose, the substance is not suitable for children anyway.1, 2
Honey – popular with children
Grandma already knew this: hot milk with honey, to fall asleep, but also for the cold, especially when your neck hurts. In fact, the medical effect of honey in previous review studies could not be detected. Nevertheless, it can help relieve sore throat, roughness and pain, as honey promotes saliva secretion and wetting (reported extensively by Bienen.info). A special feature is New Zealand manuka honey, which contains hydrogen peroxide and methylglyoxal as another antibacterial active ingredient. Although it is still not possible to provide clear evidence of the effectiveness of colds and other respiratory infections, the positive impact cannot be ruled out. Thanks to its good tolerance and acceptance, honey is a useful cure for colds. Caution: Due to lack of immune system, honey should not be given to children under 12 months of age.3, 4
Vitamin C – Classic
For a long time, Vitamin C was considered an unbeatable cure for preventing a cold or, if it had already occurred, at least reducing it. But modern studies have not been able to confirm this thesis. In contrast, deficiency can lead to increased susceptibility to infections, which is why a balanced diet in children is especially important. However, the vitamin cannot prevent the disease. However, it is slightly shorter with regular intake of Vitamin C – but no dietary supplement is needed. If the infection has already erupted, additional vitamin C does not bring relief.5, 6
Stress – an underestimated factor
That stress is not too good for one's health is well known. New research has once again shown that mental stress has a significant impact on the disease, both in terms of frequency and average length. Now stress should not play a big role in a child's life – but this is unfortunately often the case. The causes can be very different: Family problems, poor care or outside support with low staff, high demands and demands from parents as well as early, strong use of the media are among the main causes. Medication can create a lot of time spent together in peace, especially in nature. Longer media breaks but also a good role model for parents can counteract over-stimulation. In addition, it is important not to overestimate your child's expectations and adjust them to reality. Finally, parents should keep in mind that stress can affect not only the mental health of children, but also their physical health.7, 8, 9
How understandable is the desire to quickly help children with the flu and flu – there is no patent solution. Only the symptoms can be somewhat alleviated, preferably by a combination of natural remedies and painkillers and antipyretic drugs. However, the most important thing is still the love, protection and proper level of prevention hygiene. If symptoms persist for a long time or if high fever is added, the doctor should not delay. Important: In newborns up to six months, temperatures of 38 ° C are the reason for your current hospital visit, as they can endanger your life!
1. Meenu Singh et al. (2013), Zinc for colds, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews,
2nd Consumer Center (2019), more zinc for colds ?, Consumer Center,
3. Oduwole O (2018), honey for acute cough in children, Cochrane systematic review database, acute respiratory infections group,
4. Elvira Mavric et al. (2008), Identification and quantification of methylglyoxal as the dominant antibacterial ingredient of Manuka honey (Leptospermum scoparium) from New Zealand, Wiley Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. Volume 52, No. 4, p. 483-489, http://www.mgomanuka.com/viewobj.cfm/molecular_nutrition_article.pdf?file_name=molecular_nutrition_article.pdf&objID=1
5. Technicians (2017), Colds: Does It Cure Vitamin C ?, Physician / Medicine / Respiratory & ENT Diseases Treatments & Medical Services,
6. B. Kerschner (2017), Vitamin C is unusable in the common cold, the drug is transparent,
7. Ulrike Gebhardt (2017), The Seven Measures Against Cold, Spectrum Awareness,
8. Deutsches Ärzteblatt (2017), Almost every other student suffers from stress, Deutscher Ärzteverlag GmbH,
9. Jean Twenge (2019), Mental health issues have increased significantly in young adults over the last decade, American Psychological Association,