What are the dangers of homemade wine? 2

What are the dangers of homemade wine?

Making homemade wine is not dangerous in the sense of life and death, as opposed to the moon, where a mistake can lead to blindness. The wine making process creates an inhospitable environment for bacteria that can cause diseases. However, there are still things that can go wrong to destroy a cargo of wine, most of which are health problems.

What are the dangers of homemade wine? 3

credit: Bogdanhoda / iStock / GettyImages What are the dangers of homemade wine


One of the common complaints of homemade wine is that it causes a headache the next day. Headaches are caused by an excess of tannins and histamine in wine. Tannins are more common in red wine and achieving a balanced balance requires experience.

Contaminated materials

Everything that comes into contact with wine must be completely sterilized, even your hands. Any addition of impurities or bacteria will significantly affect the taste of the wine. The smallest amount of bacteria can make the wine smell and taste like vinegar. When bacteria come in contact with wine and oxygen, it produces acetic acid, which destroys the wine.


Recycling is the process by which the clear liquid from the precipitate (s) is taken to the bottom of the barrel or container carrying the liquid to a new store. As with any other aspect of vinification, everything must be clean. Another thing to keep in mind is the timetable. If the juice leaves too much left over for the doughs, the mold will taste and smell due to the dead dough.

lead poisoning

It is important to use food containers at all stages of the wine production process. Plastics, copper, iron and other non-food materials can affect the color and taste of wine. An individual event is a prime example of the need for quality materials. An Australian man was hospitalized with severe lead poisoning caused by storing crushed grapes and juices in a corroded enamel bathtub before bottling.


Barrels, bottles, corks, hoses and other tools must be sterilized. The most common method is to dissolve 2 ounces of potassium metabisulfite in a gallon of water and rinse everything that comes in contact with the wine. After rinsing with the solution, rinse everything with cold water. The potassium solution remains sealed for six months. Bottles must be boiled and rinsed several times to remove sediment, bacteria and oxidation.


How To Make Home Winery The Free Library